[Coco] Thoughts on modern computers (sort of off topic)

Louis Ciotti lciotti1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 09:11:57 EST 2012

This morning I was reading through a post about the Plug 'n' Power module
and it mentiond some article in rainbow magizine.  I downloaded the first
issue mentiond, and parusing through it got me thinking about modern
computers and how people use them now.  My first computer was a CoCo 2 back
when I was in elementary school.  I can remember spending hours writing
programs in basic, and playing the various games avaibable on it.  My
father also used it to generated billing invoices for work he did for
second income.  These programs would be considered simple by todays
standards, even crude with their text only UI.  Anyway I got to thinking,
back in the early days people could by a computer like a CoCo and with very
little extra investment be creating personalized programs in short order.
I mused over what it would take for someone to do so today.  After purchase
of a computer, they then have to learn alot more before they can begin
programming anything.  The mainstream computer arena is split between
windows and mac.  I have no experience with modern macs and my windows
experience is holding steady with XP, so I cannot really say for sure, but
out of the box there is no method for one to start learning how to create
programs.  There is now "basic" included with them.  In the windows arena
you have to download something (i.e. MS VB, or Java) and start wading
through how to manipulate graphics, windows, buttons, etc.  My first
IBM/compatible with MS-DOS 4.01 at lease had GW-baisc where one could be
creative.