[Coco] window surprise

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Jan 16 19:35:42 EST 2012

On Monday, January 16, 2012 07:28:12 PM Willard Goosey did opine:

> I've been playing around with termcap & curses, and made an
> interesting and annoying discovery. (well, it's news to me!)
>
> A window's (/wX) COL, PAG, and ROW descriptor settings are not updated
> when the window is redefined!
>
> With people telnetting into CoCos with arbitrarily sized xterms curses
> needs to be able to find out what the screen size is.  I thought it
> would be in the descriptor but windint's behavior suggests not.
>
> So, does (nitr)OS-9 have a cannonical place that the terminal's screen
> size is stored?  Rather that terminal be a window, a serial port, or a
> Drivewire Network port.
>
> Willard

I believe it does have such a place, but I believe the easiest way is to
parse the return of a 'tmode .1" which will get its return from the current
path descriptor.  Also, be aware that there are two different tmode's
around, with relatively huge differences in how they expect their commands
to be formatted.

The new one doesn't know what to do with the +- signs to turn options on or
off, you must set/unset with "pau=1" (or =0) to make it pause or not at the
end of a screen or page.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The savior becomes the victim.