[Coco] Fahrfall, an arcade-style game for the CoCo 1/2

John W. Linville linville at tuxdriver.com
Mon Jan 9 22:54:25 EST 2012

Howdy!

I've been working on a little game for the CoCo 1/2 platform --
it uses SG12, so it won't run as-is on the CoCo 3.  I hope to do
a version for the CoCo 3 eventually as well, but for now I'm only
developing on the lesser CoCo. :-)

The idea is inspired by the homebrew game DOWNFALL for the Atari
Jaguar, which was in itself inspired by Spike Goes Down for the
Vectrex and Man Goes Down for the Atari 2600.  The premise of the
game is a set of upward moving platforms for the player to navigate.
If you either fall off the bottom of the screen or if you scroll off
the top of the screen, the game is over.  It almost sounds too simple
to be fun, but DOWNFALL has kept the Jaguar busy at my house for a
couple of months. :-)

Anyway, I'm calling my game Fahrfall.  It is a reimagination of the
same basic idea as DOWNFALL, with the intent of optimising the game
for what the CoCo has to offer.  I intend to have it pounded into
shape in time for the CoCoFEST! in May.

In fact, I have entered Fahrfall in the RetroChallenge Winter Warmup.
So I hope to have Fahrfall largely together by the end of the month!
As part of the RetroChallenge event, you are supposed to keep a blog.
If you want to read about the Making of Fahrfall, then check it
out here:

	http://fahrfall.blogspot.com/

Also, I have some "work in progress" video clips on YouTube.  They are
linked from the blog, but if you just want to see the videos you can
use this search:

	http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Fahrfall

Please take a look!

John
--
John W. Linville                Someday the world will need a hero, and you
linville at tuxdriver.com                  might be all we have.  Be ready.