[Coco] OS9 vs Flex

john dumas JohnDumas at austin.rr.com
Sun Jan 1 17:56:41 EST 2012

On 12/31/2011 6:10 PM, John Kent wrote:

> On 1/01/2012 7:20 AM, john dumas wrote:
>> On 12/31/2011 11:02 AM, Frank Swygert wrote:
>>> Hmmm... I seem to recall Frank Hogg's articels saying that Flex was
>>> at least multi-user, if not multi-tasking. Seems like one would have
>>> to go with the other, but it's possible that each user could only
>>> run one task at a time instead of many... I don't recall enough!!
>>> Need to find one of Hogg's Rainbow articles/ads...
>> Been looking at the source code for SWTP 6809 Flex this past year. I
>> can see no way that more than
>> one user could be using it at once. As others have said. it looks
>> like a CP/M for '00 & '09.
>>
>> No concept of user login at all. One terminal. Single tasking - no
>> scheduler, Flex or the
>> program (singular) it launches owns the entire machine............etc
>>
>> Cheers,
>> johnd
>>

> There is interrupt driven printer spooling. The disk drivers set the
> interrupt flag so that the interrupts won't interrupt the disk
> read/write sector operations.
Righto.
Interrupts can be requested from several sources.

Still a single user system, though..........Like original DOS,
CP/M etc which had interrupt capability....And still Single User.

Still and all, I did like it - in it's time and place.
Until the downside of large disks and flat file structure
continued to bite me in the tailpipe.
That problem was later addressed by programs like
"heir", but by that time I had moved on........

Memories.........sigh

cheers,
johnd