[Coco] Off Topic but neato "Tiny $35 Raspberry Pi computer causes big stir on launch day"

Steve Batson steve at batsonphotography.com
Wed Feb 29 16:10:15 EST 2012

Bill,
I don't understand the fixation on the actual hardware myself given the
shrinking availability of used replacement hardware. Yes I understand some
of the nostalgia and fond memories of working on that old computer, and I
understand the look and feel of the real thing too. I don't see why that is
a deal breaker. There's also the fact that the audience is  really too
small to justify the cost and effort to actually produce a new coco. Heck,
I'd be surprised if a look a like case let alone the electronics could be
manufactured in low volumes for a reasonable price to entice enough new
users to break even.
I really don't see why so many complained about Steve Bjork's idea. Put a
small PC board in a CoCo Case with that hardware interface and you have
look and feel and more power to boot. Upgrades simply mean a software
update for the most part. Emulation opens up endless possibilities while
allowing full backward compatibility. I'd bet that a well done emulator
based project could be very difficult if not impossible to tell the
difference from the real hardware if it was in a CoCo case without knowing
in advance or opening it up. If someone is that anal about what's inside vs
how it actually performs, they will probably be hacking their own stuff
anyway. Nothing wrong with that.
Cost wise, the emulator is a no brainer because the main cost is time, no
big hardware or manufacturing investment. The emulation path makes it much
easier to bring new users into the community too. Add to that, all of the
hardware and resources available to the PC that can be used by an emulator.
Much less work needed to be done to make all that available.
I think that those that want to build the hardware solutions should and
those that want build emulators should as well. My biggest wish for either
side would be full backward compatibility, after that, add what ever
features you want to the CoCo 4 or whatever the next evolution might be
called. I say this because the CoCo 4 doesn't really exist yet, so adding
new stuff is fine. If it can't run old CoCo stuff though, what's the point.
Today's high powered computer hardware has many OS options available with a
lot of great features. Why go with something that can't run our old
software and/or doesn't have a lot of new support?
Just my 2 cents!
I so emulator, go for it! Saves Desk Space too! :)