[Coco] Backup of HDB-DOS drives

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Sat Feb 11 22:00:02 EST 2012

On 12/02/2012 7:38 AM, Steve Ostrom wrote:

> Not many people I know would ever hand-assemble a
> program, including counting back to branch points, etc.

Years ago I worked for a company that produced traffic controllers. The
system I was working on was based on a 68HC11 micro with banked memory,
and the ROM code was well over 68KB.

The software wasn't written in-house, but rather the entire controller
was written by someone outside the company. I ended up working with this
guy for a few weeks on some hardware enhancements that required
corresponding software updates.

We would discuss the changes in the office during the day, and he'd go
home and work on the software overnight. When he came in the next
morning, he'd have some patches for me to try. These weren't binary, but
he'd have hundreds of lines of source from different banks of memory
that he'd modified without even running an assembler over them. They'd
assemble first go (usually) and pretty much work almost every time
straight away. If something didn't work, he'd take note of it and fix it
up that night.

They didn't have any sort of ICE or other debugging tool for the HC11,
so he'd never really seen any advantage on developing or debugging on
the actual hardware.

These days of course the first thing I'd do would be to write a MESS
driver for it, but back then I don't think there was a 68HC11 core (is
there one now?). The guy didn't have much of a clue about emulation at
all - but he was pretty damn amazing at writing working code 'blind'
without access to hardware.

Regards,

--
| <http://pacedev.net> |