[Coco] Coco 3 with problems, can anyone help me troubleshoot?

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Feb 11 21:58:27 EST 2012

On Saturday, February 11, 2012 08:58:10 PM Mike Rowen did opine:

> Have you checked your cassette cable?

That is another possibility Mike, but if he can hear the tape in the
speakers hooked _to_ the coco, then I'd like to think the cable is good.
So the next question I'd have is, was the coco3 slowed to coco2 speed when
that tape was written, and its also slowed to coco2 speed before the tape
read is attempted?

Frankly, the noise performances of the CCR-81 and look-a-likes have always
disappointed me, a lot.  The DC magnet erase and bias setups on those put
so much noise and distortion on the tape that I have applied the same
theory to those that we used back in Model T Ford days, which was said to
have Christian Science oiling because you had to be a CS to believe the
cylinder walls got enough oil.  They never did.

So while my metal tape capable Sony dual deck machine didn't have an
interface that allowed its motors to be controlled by the coco, it was no
problem to start the deck in record mode, then hit the return key to start
the coco's output, stopping the deck when the prompt came back.  I have yet
to fail to read back such a tape even though it was only on one track of a
stereo deck, even when that tape was played back in a GE copy of that
CCR-81.  I even mailed out a few copies of some stuff to others who
reported they were flawless.

So, that brings us back to his problem.

Please give us a little better description of what that buzzing really
sounds like.  They should be rather raspy, with noticeable output from the
tweeters if you have that fancy a speaker set.  If it sounds like it has
been through a low pass filter, with no more highs to drive the tweeters
than you would get thru a phone circuit, I'd have to guess that one, either
the head was dirty and the tape is not making good contact, or two the head
is worn out, or the felt pressure pads in the cassette are missing.
Obviously a fresh cassette and a fresh recording would tell that tale.

The head being worn needs a quite strong magnifying glass to see if you can
actually see the pole piece gaps where they come together, usually much
much less than 0.001" and invisible even to a 100 power glass/microscope,
so basically if you can see the gap, running vertically on the face of the
head, its gone.  This will also be visible it the supposedly cylindrical,
well polished profile of a good head.  If it looks like its worn unevenly,
its safe to bet its worn out.  Even good heads are like diamond phono
needles, and gone in 500 to 1000 hours of use, unless it says Ampex 600 on
the deck, they were much thicker and could hold specs for 30k hours.

This is not to belittle Mark in any way.  Its even possible that a coat of
something atmospheric born is on the head after all these years, no fault
of Mark's at all, and that a decent cleaning and letting a fresh cassette
play through it full length to restore the polish might be in order.  Since
they are made of an alloy called mu-metal, its conceivable that they could
also "rust" like iron would but I've no clue what color it might be if that
is the case.

Wikipedia says this about the alloy:
Mu-metal is a nickel-iron alloy (approximately 77% nickel, 16% iron, 5%
copper and 2% chromium or molybdenum)[1]

That 16% iron could be an oxidation problem over the 20+ years since these
CCR decks were made.  On iron, we call that oxidation rust but I'd have to
think its not anything but surface and an in-determinant color what with
all the other stuff, like copper which also oxidizes over time.  So will
the chromium which is why your cars bumpers have a coat of nickle over the
chrome to keep it nice & bright for a while.

The wiki article does not discuss its oxidation modes or properties.
Another site does allude to it with this statement:

Mumetal is only moderately resistant to moisture and atmospheric corrosion,

And that seems to about the extent of available data since the rest of
those sites are interested in selling you some of it. ;-)

However, beware of 'cleaning tapes' those things are like 320 grit
sandpaper, every 10 seconds can take 50 hours off a heads life.

If the full length pass of a new 2 hour tape fixes it, toss that tape, its
now contaminated and having done its job, needs to hit the trash can.

Hopefully I've hit the rest of the bases here.