[Coco] Backup of HDB-DOS drives

Steve Ostrom smostrom7 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 11 15:38:05 EST 2012

It yours for the taking.  It was just a fun project.  In case anyone asks,
there is no real source code for the ML program, except for the data
statements in the accompanying BASIC file.  I hand wrote the program, and
hand-aseembled it sitting at my picnic table at the cabin.  That was a
really fun process.  Not many people I know would ever hand-assemble a
program, including counting back to branch points, etc.  You will see three
files on the disk.  One is the "source" code BASIC program, in case someone
really wants to play with it.  The second file is a BASIC loader program
that initializes the hard drives and loads and executes the ML program.  The
third file is the ML program itself.  Only the ML program runs once you
start the process, so the time to copy 256 drives is about 1/2 the time
needed for a BASIC program.  I thought the ML version would be much faster,
but most of the sloweness is in the read/write function of the drives.

The program itself is not very fancy.  No nice user-friendly interface, but
it does its job of copying from SCSI drive 0 to SCSI drive 1.  I even have a
rough error reporting routine in thr ML, but I've never forced an error to
see if it would report properly.  There is a running display on monitor,
showingh the drive and sector numbers as it progresses.  It sems to copy
both RSBASIC and OS-9 disks without any issues.

-Steve-