[Coco] Vintage Computer Festival East 8.0 - May 5/6, 2012

Rogelio Perea os9dude at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 05:56:35 EST 2012

Cross posting from an e-mail notice I got. Expecting to attend this year :-)

- - - - - - - -

Hello vintage computer fans! We're proud to announce that the Vintage
Computer Festival East 8.0 is happening on May 5-6, 2012, at the InfoAge
Science Center (2201 Marconi Rd., Wall, New Jersey, USA.)

But first: You're receiving this email because, at some point, you signed
up for it. If you wish to be removed, then just reply and put "REMOVE" in
the subject line.

Having said that, on to the VCF news! This year's VCF East will be the best
one ever. There are lectures and workshops in the morning, our legendary
exhibit hall in the afternoon, and tours of the InfoAge center's computer
history wing all day.

This year's lectures are highlighted by keynotes at 12:30 each day.
Saturday's keynote is Dr. Thomas Kurtz, who co-invented the BASIC
programming language. Sunday's keynote is Daniel Kottke, who was Steve
Jobs' college buddy, India travel companion, Apple 1 board debugger, and
Apple II, III, and Macintosh engineer. We are thrilled that Kurtz and
Kottke accepted our invitations!

Other lectures include How it's Done: 8-Bit Chip Music, and The History of
Commodore Part 2. We are currently in the planning stages for three other
lectures -- one about Charles Babbage, one about analog computing, and one
that's a reunion of the first meeting of New Jersey's first microcomputer
club.

This year we have SIX workshops -- Intro to Software Restoration, Intro to
Minicomputer Care & Feeding, Intro to Commodore 8-Bit Maintenance, Intro to
Apple II Maintenance, Intro to S-100 Zen & Innerworkings, and Build Your
Own Vector Graphics Kit. The first five are included with your VCF
admission, and the vector graphics session is a separate admission.

Lecture and workshop details are posted at
http://www.vintage.org/2012/east/session.php -- check back in the next week
or two for updates.

In the afternoon hands-on exhibit hall, we expect 20-30 booths this year.
So far there are eight registered, which is normal for T-minus three
months. Details are at http://www.vintage.org/2012/east/exhibit.php and you
should keep checking back for updates. One of this year's big highlights is
David Gesswein's exhibit of a restored, operational, original DEC PDP-8 --
the famous "straight 8" is VERY rare, especially in working condition!

Also at the VCF East 8.0, you'll find a book sale, consignment, food,
prizes, vendors, and much more! From families to serious collections, the
Vintage Computer Festival always has something for everyone.

Admission to VCF East 8.0 is very inexpensive. Adult tickets are just $10
per day and $15 for the whole weekend. Anyone 17 and younger are admitted
free. Tickets are sold at the door. Directions, lodging, and related
details are also on the VCF web site at http://www.vintage.org/2012/east/.

All questions, such as admission, how to exhibit, how to become a VCF
sponsor or vendor, etc., as well as any other questions from the public and
from media, should be addressed to event producer Evan Koblentz --
evan at snarc.net, or call him at (646) 546-9999.

Proceeds from the VCF East 8.0 benefit the InfoAge center, which is a
grassroots, all-volunteer educational facility, and the MARCH user group
(Mid-Atlantic Retro Computing Hobbyists).

Thanks, and we hope to see you at the VCF East!

PS - Like us on Facebook! We're at http://www.facebook.com/vcfeast8 - we'd
be very grateful if you can share our link on your wall.

-- RP