[Coco] [Color Computer] Questions, Questions, Questions...

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 18:36:59 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 31, 2012 at 4:14 PM, john.bielak <j.bielak at comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I've recently been dusting off my old CoCo's and as I've been out of it for the longest time I had a bunch of Quasi-Newbie questions :)

welcome back

> I was considering putting in the alternative PAL chip on a Multi Pak Interface, so I could use it with a CoCo 3, but was wondering if anyone knew if it would cause problems using with a CoCo 1/2 afterwards.
>
> Any suggestions about using A CoCo with a modern Monitor/TV?  I've got a Composite to VGA converter that works moderately well (though not spectacularly) with some other retro equipment... and one brilliant little mod board that makes a TS-1000 look amazing on LCD/Plasma display. I'm going to drop in the Composite mod for the CoCo2, and there's I have an RGB to VGA converter I want to try with the CoCo 3 once I wire together cables... but does anyone have any suggestions based on their experiences?

Roy Justus makes an excellent coco3 rgb -> vga converter.  He recently
started offering them for sale again.

> I recently picked up a Coco3.com Drive Pak and Wireless RS-232 Pak in a bundled eBay auction and was wondering:
>
> How does the Drive Pak compared to the SuperIDE interface?  I not really interested in which is faster, but rather they're overall usability.

There is a comparison of features at:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~mmarlette/Cloud-9/Hardware/SuperIDE.html

> With the Drive Pak, and the CoConet 1.27 firmware, on a CoCo 2/3 I've found it easy to use and like the way mounting drives and partitions are handled.  I'm not happy about the lack of SDHC support, and I'm definitely not fond of the proprietary format used on the SD card.  The three other Retro SD drive replacements I have at the moment (Commodore, Timex-Sinclair ZX81, Atari) use one of the DOS/Windows FAT or NTFS file systems which makes loading and transferring things a breeze.  The CoCoPak utility make life WAY easier but I'm not seeing it as an ideal solution in the future (See: Windows 8 and beyond)

If you ignore or don't need the extra features and performance of the
SuperIDE, they work about the same in DECB.  Both use a "non standard"
drive format, both have utilities for getting data on and off the
card. If you're looking at the long term (win 8 and beyond?) the
SuperIDE has tools that work on any platform (linux, mac, windows X,
whatever) that runs Java, so there will not be an issue there.
Additionally the SuperIDE's HDBDOS is open source and has a lot of
community support, whereas the coconet code is not clear on licensing
and afaik is no longer supported by its author.

> Cloud 9's SuperIDE looks very interesting, but the documentation I could find the site doesn't talk much, if at all really, about the actual usage on a CoCo under normal Disk Basic/RSDOS. Nothing about how, or if you can at all, mount disk images or move through sub directories... or if primary meant for higher end OS's like OS9.

The SuperIDE provides 256 disk images in DECB by default, but you can
use less space than that, and there are community hacks available to
support many more.  They are all "mounted", you just type DRIVE XXX
like you would on a normal DECB system and use the standard DECB
commands like normal.  No support for subdirectories or anything like
that, its just a blob off disk images on the CF/SD/HDD.