[Coco] .CAS file format

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun Dec 16 21:46:54 EST 2012

Bill Pierce wrote:

> I thought the "cas" format was just a special wav format, not a "byte by byte" storage format?
>
> Bill P
>
> Music from the Tandy/Radio Shack Color Computer 2 & 3
> Bill Pierce
> ooogalapasooo at aol.com

I'm glad this came up as a topic, because you are both right! This may also
explain some of the problems users of emulators may be having. It won't explain
the errors many files produce when converted from Coco tapes to sound files.

VCC uses a fake cassette format for CSAVE which has a header of 128 bytes of
$55, a file name with some special characters, 128 bytes of $55, and then the
tokenized Basic program.
MESS uses a sound file which emulates a cassette file. The CSAVE file is a RIFF
, Windows PCM, 44.1kHz, 16-bit mono.