[Coco] OS9 Level 1

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Fri Dec 14 09:46:05 EST 2012

Brett Gordon wrote:
> Does anyone know how the memory map for NOS9 Level 1 is organized?  Is
> the OS9 kernel and modules loaded from high memory to low like level 2
> ?  Where would one, say me, put a bootloader at to avoid memory
> conflicts?

The easiest way to see where things are located in memory is to use the command
mdir -e
You will see that the kernel will be in memory from $EE00 up for Level1 and
OS9Boot will fill memory more or less from $EE00 down.
Assignment is not exact and will depend on the version of OS-9 or NitrOS-9 in use.

There is no safe place to put anything in OS-9. You should work with the system.
That means your program should be relocatable and work anywhere the system
places it.
If you mean where should a program be LOADMed under Disk Basic so that it can
boot OS-9, that's a different question and you can look at the way the DOS
command works. The kernel is initially placed at $2600 and then moves itself to
high memory. DOS stops running once the kernel is placed in memory when DOS
jumps to the kernel code.