[Coco] Alternatives to the Raspberry PI (for CoCo emulator/server)

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Mon Dec 10 10:46:16 EST 2012

Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 22:13:46 +0000
From:lciotti1 at gmail.com

Why not pick up a cheap notebook, plenty outhere for under 300.  Heck you can pick up a chromebook brand new for under 250 to your door, install linux and your good to go.

That would definitely work for an emulator, and you'd have a "notebook CoCo" all self-contained and easy to break-out when you felt the need to play with it. The tiny computers make better Drivewire servers because they take up so little room. They can also be mounted in a CoCo case to make a retro look machine. I think that's the main attraction. Heck, I think the RPi and Rikomagic might even mount under the CoCo keyboard. Plug in a 16GB SD card for all the storage you'd need. Of course if you're setting your CoCo up near your desktop and don't plan on moving it around it's easy enough to run Driveware on the desktop and just plug in. That's where Roger Taylors Bluetooth pack would come in handy. I think that's what Cloud-9 needs to work on next -- a Bluetooth (or WiFi) Drivewire pack...

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine