[Coco] Sierra Xmas 86 demo

Mon Dec 10 01:08:42 EST 2012

Hi,

If 3.5" disks are 135 TPI and must be marked 48 TPI then I was really was
not understanding the OS-9 documentation.

And that explains all the problems I am having trying to read my 80T2S disks
on emulators.

If one of my 80T2S disks was written in a 5.25" drive then it must be marked
96 TPI.
But if it was written in my 3.5" drive then it must be marked 48 TPI.

Wait, I have identical copies, one written in the 3.5" drive and one written
in the 5.25" drive. Having the same names. YES, ~ 150 disks for each format,
5.25" and 3.5".

Plus my switch that interchanged /D0 and /D1 was EVIL itself.

I often switched the drives and put a duplicate system disk into the new
/D0.
I remember very few problems, making sure that the drives had stopped
spinning first.

Yes, I accept that 80T2S disks have problems writing 40T2S disks.

I was well aware of the problem but did not experience it because I used a
bulk tape eraser first ALWAYS.

Reading was no problem as OS-9 knew what to do with a 40T2S disk in a 80T2S
drive.

SHF