[Coco] Sierra Xmas 86 demo

Sun Dec 9 23:22:24 EST 2012

Hi,

Go to the NitrOS-9 documentation:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/nitros9/index.php?title=NitrOS-9_Technical_Reference#Identification_Sector_.28LSN_0.29

hit f3 in IE and search for DD.FMT, the third occurrence.

-------------------------------
The format attributes (DD.FMT) are these:

Bit 0 Number of sides
0 Single-sided
1 Double-sided

Bit 1 Density
0 Single-density
1 Double-density

Bit 2 Track density
0 Single (48 tracks per inch)
1 Double (96 tracks per inch)

DNS=1 means Double Density, 48 TPI
DNS=3 means Double Density, 96 TPI.

All OS-9 disks are Double Density. FLEX always had Track 0 Single Density,
the rest of the tracks Either Single or Double depending on what Track 0
said.

3.5" drives are 96 TPI and  my 5.25" drives were 96 TPI also.
They did not  last very long as 1.3 meg ? drives soon replaced them.

No, I do not know why this does not compute. Bit 0, the number of sides is
moved elsewhere I suspect and DNS I cannot find???

DNS=3 was what I used for both 3.5" and 5.25", when I got a 3.5" drive I did
not need to change /D0 or was it /D1.
In any case, the switch to swap /D0 and /D1 as added quickly.

SHF