[Coco] Alternatives to the Raspberry PI (for CoCo emulator/server)

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Sun Dec 9 09:18:55 EST 2012

Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 11:54:37 -0500
From: Bill Traynor<wmat at alphatroop.com>

I would include the Beaglebone on this list:

http://beagleboard.org/bone

It's slightly more expensive at $89 but the value is found in 1) It's
completely Open Source.  Not binary blobs required for anything 2) There's
a vibrant community around it, and 3) it's highly expandable with Capes,
which are being added by the week.

The main reason I didn't include it is I wasn't aware of it, but I wouldn't have anyway. It's more expensive as you mentioned, but the main reason is it doesn't have built-in video out. If can be set up as a headless system but you need a PC to set it up. The video board is an additional cost, making it closer to the Droido-x2 (heck, the $135 model) in price, but that has 2GB and lots of other features. It still looks like a nice experimenters board and as I said can be setup headless and used as a CoCo drivewire server or emulator base. It does come with a 4GB SD card...