[Coco] For anyone interested...

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Thu Dec 6 17:07:55 EST 2012

On 7/12/2012 3:41 AM, Luis Antoniosi wrote:

> It already has 5 bids and is 158 by now. Told you guys evil bay is
> impossible to buy anymore...

Retro computing/gaming prices have been ridiculous for some time now. And if
you want to complain about prices in the US, I have no sympathy for you.

Until recently the Coco (and TRS-80) was relatively obscure here, and you
could pick them up for a song.  But now, even the Coco is outside my price
range. Basically *any* retro micro now will set you back at least $50, and
some of them regularly fetch $200. And that's just the computer itself.

As others suggested, retro computing is "in vogue". But it's not the
collectors that are driving up the prices IMHO, it's the profiteers looking
to make a buck. Even on "friendly" groups like local video game traders
groups on Facebook I've recently seen complaints of resellers going straight
to eBay after buying stuff for 'decent' prices.

Of course there's nought anyone can do about it; where there's a market it
will attract people looking to make money. It's human nature. No point
complaining or fighting it or blaming the auction house.

I've always found the best way to pick up stuff is to just get chatting to
people. As I think I mentioned the other day here, I bought 4x Apple
keyboards via eBay the other day, and when I went to pick them up I got
talking. Walked away with 6x Apple keyboards, a Coco 2, 2x Apple IIe
Platinums, and 2x Apple II disk drives - for $10.50.

Regards,