[Coco] Have no idea what to call it, but, it WAS New tool: WIRED

Brian Blake random.rodder at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 09:51:49 EST 2012

On 12/4/2012 4:43 PM, Robert Gault wrote:

> Luis Antoniosi has demonstrated one approach which can handle
> Drivewire plus one type of HDBDOS; one ROM loaded to RAM, the second
> the current ROM. Extend it to a 16K ROM with the main package in the
> first half and hardware specific routines in the second half, and
> there just might be room to support all flavors of drives.
>
> Aside from the difficulties and work needed to attempt this, the
> requirement of a 16K ROM may make the concept Coco3 only. That would
> not be desirable.

I'd fully agree that you'd want to support all CoCo models - however,
WHY would the move to a 16k ROM be CoCo3 only? Roger claimed CoCoNet
would work an any CoCo and I believe it's on a 16k ROM. I've only used
it on a CoCo 3 so I don't know.

Not trying to be difficult, just want to understand...

> As things stand right now, the point is moot for NitrOS-9 as you can
> have driver packages for any type hard drive and Drivewire co-existing
> in OS9Boot. I have this currently going for my SCSI drives and Drivewire.

Not everybody works in or wants to work in NitrOS-9. And really, there's
quite a few people who have no clue how to set this stuff up under
NitrOS-9 - myself included.

> So this Super HDBDOS really is needed only for Disk Basic. Far as that
> goes, it is only needed to transfer files back and forth as Luis'
> Wired does right now.
>
> Robert

Maybe I'm the only person who sees the utility in having your DOS be
able to see and access all the storage devices on the CoCo system, I
don't know. For those who like to play their RS-DOS based games, I'd
think being able to copy files from your PC to help set up your SuperIDE
in the easiest way possible would be a benefit. I know NitrOS-9 is
powerful and can do lots of things RS-DOS cannot.

However, with three kids and a grand-daughter, working full time, and a
house and cars to maintain, I personally do not have the time to learn
how to set up a NitrOS-9 boot disk, decide what modules to add to it,
learn all the methods of scripting and customization, etc... Yes, I'd
LOVE to learn these things, as well as learn to write BASIC programs
better and learn Assembly language as well. Right now, Disk Basic suits
my needs.

Now, I'm not saying one person's needs outweighs the needs of the many -
if I'm indeed the only person to see a need or the usefulness of these
changes, then I probably should shut up. But, I'd imagine for people
coming back to the CoCo, or those who have a new-found interest for
whatever reason, the first thing they are likely to see is a Disk Basic
based OS like HDB-DOS or CoCoNet if they dive in and get a SuperIDE for
a storage solution or the DrivePak if the new 'owner' follows through
with his promises. These changes would probably be greatly beneficial to
these people - especially if Disk Basic is what they've used in the past.

Brian