[Coco] WIRED with Drivewire & Drivepak

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Tue Dec 4 19:14:10 EST 2012

Luis Antoniosi wrote:
> Robert,
>
> If you could, make a little test on drivepak (you need to copy the
> file below to it):
>
> LOADM"HDBDOSC3.BIN":EXEC
>
> CLEAR 1000
> DSKI$ 0,0,1,A$,B$ (to check if DW is working, check DW activity)
>
> POKE&HFFDE,0
> DSKI$ 0,0,1,A$,B$ (check drivepak activity)
>
> Don't try a DIR or any other file access. Maybe you need to attach a
> partition do drivepak first. dunno if is going to work.
>
> Thxs

That does not work at all starting with Coconet active.
1) Can't read from Drivewire.
2) Immediately after the POKE, I get a string of
?AO ERROR
OK
?AO ERROR
OK
?AO ERROR
OK
etc.

If I use my own copy of HDBDOS, load it into low ram, and use a program to move
it into the $C000-$DFFF region, and jmp $C002 (I regularly do this), the DSKI$
works on Drivewire but again after the POKE, I get the AO ERROR from the Drivepak.

There probably is no good way to make Drivewire and Drivepak co-exist under Disk
Basic without writing some significant ml code. The HDBDOS and Coconet ROMs and
techniques are just too different.
One major problem is that the variables in low RAM $149- are used differently.
Without resetting these variables, I doubt you can flip back and forth between
HDBDOS and Coconet. Maybe if the variables are saved and reset, this can work.

Robert