[Coco] Floppy emulator - WAS Re: Can I replace my CoCo 1's ROMs with 2764's?

Ken H. dragon.atv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 14:37:06 EST 2012

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 8:49 PM, Darren A <mechacoco at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 11:32 AM, Juan Castro <jccyc1965 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Am I am Brian talking about the same thing? The one you shipped 15 of
> > to France? Or were those just MCX-128 like the one you sent me?
> >

> This was a different project for the CoCo. It would emulate a floppy
> controller, allowing programs that talk directly to the hardware
> (including those using copy-protection schemes) to work with
> DriveWire.
>
> Darren

The hxc2001 floppy emulator works with the CoCo.
http://hxc2001.free.fr/floppy_drive_emulator/

The CoCo  sees the disk images that are  uploaded to the hxc2001's SD card
as they were real floppy disks, achieving full compatibility with all CoCo
software.
I have successfully tested it with both the CoCo and the Dragon under RSDOS
and NitrOS9.
It works nicely and it is easy to copy disk images. All disk formats are
supported (35 / 40 / 80 tracks single or double sided), and up to 2 disks
can be emulated (drive 0/drive 1 under dos or /d0 /d1 under OS9).
The main drawback is that there is practically no speed improvement
compared to real floppies.
Ken