[Coco] The Continuing Saga of My 6809 Computer

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Fri Aug 31 13:34:32 EDT 2012

On 12-08-31 09:41 AM, Bill Pierce wrote:

>   I tried (just for fun) to assemble a couple of the ROMs in RainbowIDE using CCASM and all I had to do was "INCLUDE" the related equates files at the top of the source for each ROM. There was an instance of errors related to any "leax   $-1,x" to "leax   $-9,x" instructions. I just removed the "$"s  and they assembled fine as these were 0-9 and therefore could be decimal or hex. The same in positive numbers did not error.
>   There seems to be no "special" as instructions used in a lot of assemblers such as "conditional" instructions ect. As I said, they assembled. I'm pretty sure they would assemble on a Coco using EDTASM if line numbers were added.
> Again, I do not know how close they are to the roms but that would be easy to check against my actual roms in my Coco.

Something you'll want to watch out for is the ",PC" indexed modes. There
are a couple of those in the color basic rom and a big stack in the
coco3 rom. To get a correct build, you'll need to replace ",PC" with
",PCR" for some assemblers (lwasm for one). ",PC" is supposed to mean
"constant offset from PC" while ",PCR" is supposed to mean "calculate
the offset to the specified address and use that as the offset from PC".
Some assemblers (including mamou) treat ",PC" as if it were ",PCR". I
don't know what CCASM does in this case.

You won't get an assemble error in the ",PC" vs. ",PCR" case, but you
will get a nonfunctional result.

I know there is no apparently useful purpose for ",PC", but that is what
the "official" word is on the difference between the two notations.

You may also get slight variations in the case of "0,r" but those will
not cause incorrect functioning nor will they change the size of the
resulting binary. ("0,r" may be assembled to ",r" depending on the
assembler.)