[Coco] Virtual Program Paks

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Wed Aug 22 01:12:51 EDT 2012

Luis, That sounds exactly like what I'm trying to do. I just need a way to analyze the actual frequency of a sound, then the display is just a matter of how you want it displayed. I did one years ago on the Coco 2 but was using Ram under the roms for storage of the sounds and of course this couldn't be done with the Coco 3 and at the time, I didn't know how to switch ram banks in and out. I always wanted to expand it to stereo, using both joystick ports to do the left/right sampling. I did mess around with doing stereo by sampling each side individually but ram became a problem. I still have the old M/L code and have thought of moving it into the Coco 3 world and maybe OS9 as it has a waveform editor that displayed the actual waveform. I also had an envelope editor to alter the attack, sustain and decay of the waveform. It was called "SK-1Base". I used it as a wave librarian for my Casio SK-1 sampling keyboard which I used in the band I was playing in. The Sk-1 would store 4 short samples and my program had 8 sample banks. I would load the banks from casstette and send them to the SK-1 through the Orchestra90 outputs into the microphone input on the SK-1. The samples were only 3 or 4 seconds long but that was all I needed as the SK-1 had a looping feature that allowed me to loop the sample. One song I remember using it on was Pink Floyd's "Comfortably Numb". I had a short sample of the strings and I would load it from the Coco to the SK-1 before we started the show and then hope the SK-1 didn't get unplugged before time to play it or it would loose the sample.... Those were the days....

Bill Pierce
ooogalapasooo at aol.com