[Coco] PAL, GAL, CPLD Programmer Needed

Phill Harvey-Smith afra at aurigae.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 14 18:20:32 EDT 2012

On 14/08/2012 23:02, Darren A wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 2:29 PM,  <jdaggett at gate.net> wrote:
>
>> You can still find older technology CPLDs that are in PLCC
>> packages. They may also carry a higher cost. CPLDs today are not 5
>> volt tolerent. Some of the older ones like the Xilinx XC9500
>> series are.

Though the XC9500 series have been recently EOL'd. The XC9500XL series
are 3.3V devices that are 5V tollerent, though logic high out will only
be 3.3V. I have found this to work whthout problems on the data bus of a
6502 based machine...

Just to be on the safe side when I'm driving 5V chip selects I add a
pullup res.

Returning to the device programmer I have a Wellon VP-590 and know a
couple of people that have the VP-290, I have found both programmers
pretty good, though more expensive in the 590's case.

Cheers.

Phill.