[Coco] The 6-Chip 6809 Computer Saga

Frank Swygert farna at amc-mag.com
Tue Aug 14 09:49:24 EDT 2012

Manning SC, huh? Not far from Sumter, right? I live near Leesville, about 1.5 hours away. Don't do a whole lot with the CoCo any more... well, none really. Played with emulators a little and still have a couple CoCos in storage but that's all. My nostalgia fix is provided by the list.

I had a similar lightning incident a few weeks ago. Took out my home network -- killed two 5 port hubs (well, just blew two ports in one of them), my wireless router, the ethernet port on two motherboards, and my dad's computer. I have two houses and my shop on the network through underground cable. The cable to my shop did parallel a water line -- got that cable somehow! Since that cable also came into the shop about 6' from the ground for the shop 200A meter I think lightning hit the ground and came in on it. Dad's computer was the mystery! He has it plugged into a UPS and it STILL came through and zapped the power supply AND motherboard. I've told him to contact APC and see what he has to do to file a claim, not sure he's going to. The UPS still works fine, and the computer was plugged into one of the fully protected sockets.

Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 21:37:23 -0400
From: "Kip Koon"<computerdoc at sc.rr.com>

Sunday, August 5, 2012, the fiercest Thunderstorm took place where I live in
Manning, SC that I have ever experienced in my entire life.

--
Frank Swygert
Editor - American Motors Cars Magazine