[Coco] c.comp and c.pass1 / c.pass2 data sizes.

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Apr 28 22:08:42 EDT 2012

On Saturday, April 28, 2012 09:59:33 PM Stephen H. Fischer did opine:

> Hi,
>
> OK, your suggestions are mine also.
>
> I am not going to be very specific because I consider myself under a NDA
> although I have not been told I am.
>
> But the program was built on OS-9.3333333333333333333333.
>
> The author has "fixed" so much of the OS-9 system, added his own weird
> version of "CC", maybe "fixed" c.comp and who knows what else.
>
> He put 10# of @^$$%&& into a 9.9# pail and it is messy, smells, and has
> done other very strange things to produce the program.
>
> My first reaction was, this source has never been compiled and built
> into a program that was tested and released. I hope that the problem is
> a NitrOS-9 bug.
>
> To the "Bounty ware", "Paid ware", "Shareware", "Free ware" we may now
> have to add "Salvage ware" where the fans of the program contribute to
> a fund to send a HDD to a data recovery company to get the program's
> real source.
>
> That is if any company would work on a tiny HDD with 256 byte sectors.
>
> The backup HDD may be the one that is readable and perhaps not a good
> backup.
>
> SAD!
>
> SHF

Top posting, gah!

Might this be a case where somebody, trying to make it (osk) sound so
superior about one of their file utilities, saying os9 had nothing that
could do this, and sent me a screen snapshot.  Having little else to do,
the end result a few months later was 'vfy' which could do a lot more than
the osk version could do.  Strangely, but not un-expected when it was
finally published, said individual disappeared from the coco world.

Sometimes, and this might be one of those times, having seen the warts of
an existing program, it really is better to start from scratch.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
I have more humility in my little finger than you have in your whole
____BODY!
		-- from "Cerebus" #82