[Coco] c.comp and c.pass1 / c.pass2 data sizes.

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Apr 28 21:15:41 EDT 2012

On Saturday, April 28, 2012 09:01:59 PM Stephen H. Fischer did opine:

> Hi,
>
> Gene or anybody:
>
> Suppose you have the largest program that can be compiled by the "C"
> Compiler.
>
> c.comp now gives a out of memory error that before reportedly the
> program could be compiled. (Previous author statement, new system
> environment now in use.)
>
> My questions are:
>
> Given the data sizes for c.comp and c.pass1, is additional memory
> requested as needed up to the 64K limit?
>
> Can c.pass1 / c.pass2 compile a larger program than c.comp?
>
> Note, I have NO previous c.comp experience.
>
> SHF

I have a copy of c.comp, but have never tried it on the biggest package I
ever built, which was rzsz-3.3.6, around 34k of executable for either.  My
guess is that is was split originally due to the memory requirements while
building larger programs.  I used cpass1 and cpass2 to build rzsz & kept
the intermediate files in /r0, the ramdisk 'myram' that I wrote.

Unforch, this is 2012, 20 years down the log, so a lot of that has faded
off into the inevitable distance of what is now a 77 YO mind.  So all I can
say is to make sure you have ansifront-012, then the latest c.prep19c I
think it is now, and c.pass1 & c.pass2, in that order, and see how that
works. cc.2.5.2 or newer as the exec script makes it easy to adjust what
you are using as its a script itself, and you may even be able to modify
the amount of memory each of the subprocesses gets to do its thing.

Sorry I can't be more specific.
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
User n.:
	A programmer who will believe anything you tell him.