[Coco] [off-topic] cabling problems

Patrick Wilson gotitdownpat at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 19 18:28:55 EDT 2012

From: William Astle <lost at l-w.ca>
To: coco at maltedmedia.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:48 PM
Subject: Re: [Coco] [off-topic] cabling problems

>I thought the twisted part was to keep the transmission line effect
>going  and to keep the wires together rather than shielding. The

Actually, the function of the twist is to provide a means for cancellation of spurious interferance.  The more twists per a given length, the better.  It uses the effects of the magnetic fields created by current flow to couple back in such a way that it counters the spurious waveform.   The twist also has another interesting effect in that the inductive effect of the signals traversing the medium give the cable its effective impedance.  (electrical trivia, enjoy)