[Coco] Question about MPI behavior

Paulo Lindoso paulo.lindoso at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 10:00:43 EDT 2012

If memory serves, the reason why the drive controller must be in slot 4 was
bus timing of sorts.

I remember reading somewhere (Rainbow, list...) that if you used the
controller in another slot, you might get intermitent problems due to
timing problems;  it kinda makes sense for low-frequency circuits such as
the CoCo, but I have never tested it myself.

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:55 AM, Robert Hermanek
<rhermanek at centurytel.net>wrote:

> Anyone know why the MPI manual states that a drive controller must be in
> slot 4?  I would think with the POKE trick discussed here, a controller
> would work in any slot as long as you set the active I/O properly.
>
> And that got me thinking about someone's previous post, asking if you can
> run more than one disk controller in a system, and we got into talking
> about changing I/O ports/etc.  If you had more than one disk controller in
> MPI, after booting the ROM in one as per normal, in slot 4 etc, what would
> stop you from using the $FF7F poke to switch your I/O to slot 3 and using
> the devices conencted to another disk controller?
>
> I have no plans to do or test this, but someone was asking about multiple
> controllers a few days (weeks?) ago...
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Darren A" <mechacoco at gmail.com>

>>> if I then wanted to use the registers of the rs-232 pak itself, I'd have