[Coco] long math subroutine module?

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Thu Apr 12 14:51:30 EDT 2012

On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 11:31:56PM -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> So far as I have heard about, no.  I believe the real problem is the size
> of an int in basic09 is 16 bits & even a real is only 5 bytes including the
> exponent.

Exactly.  Now I'm really wondering why nobody's written such a thing.

> I believe if you need that in long or double, you'll need to write it in C
> and use the trig.l to get those functions where the accuracy only gets
> fuzzy about 16 or 17 digits out.  They work well until the julian calender
> hits zero in the middle of 4713 BC.

That amuses me, because my reason for asking is that I want to
directly manipulate the real file-pointer returned by the system calls
via SYSCALL... If you're doing trig on a file pointer you're doing
something VERY strange! :-)

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA