[Coco] COCO Robot update.

haywire666 at aol.com haywire666 at aol.com
Sun Apr 8 13:45:14 EDT 2012

Thanks for the thoughts guys. My thoughts were that If some animated things (Like blinking eyes) could be taken away from the main processor (The coco) and operate independently when the
robot was turned on that would be fine. I have a small led eq bar that operates on its own, going up and down with the voice. I don't even know how to do that with a micro controller or with the coco.

The led eyes will be done with this little off the shelf component I found. It comes with a circuit to vary the blink rate and the leds, it costs 14$ including shipping. To me, its not worth trying to reinvent the wheel if there is something off the shelf I can just mount. Of course, this may not look right to me, we'll see when it gets here. If it dosn't look right I want to use the relay on the coco.

Besides the color computer as the main "brain" The robot WILL have a couple of micro controllers, as I have two basic stamp homework boards here someone gave me. I also have an arduino board I bought but never used. I believe distributed processing is the best thing for robots. In a robot, there is virtually unlimited amounts of sensors and things. I built a pc based mobile robot some time ago, but I found it nearly impossible to get enough i/o lines to handle all the additions, sensors, flashing lights, and doo dads I would keep adding. Besides this, its difficult to manage one cpu doing everything.

if some sensors could be managed by the microcontroller and just report things to the main cpu, I think the robot would be much smarter and more hmmm... capable?
Also,If I use micro controllers along with the color computer, I can also do things the coco can't do (or would take too much cpu time) like speech recognition.

Like I said, when I make more progress I'll post some pictures. Right now the head is not attached, the mobile base still needs work and the frame is done, but still mounthing stuff.

Still,my frankencoco robot is slowly taking shape. Thanks for everyone's help!

Steven