[Coco] OT: 63B09

hhos at st-tel.net hhos at st-tel.net
Thu Oct 20 12:29:44 EDT 2011

What problem(s) are you having with the controller? Is it dead, or just a
bit twitchy? Is the CPU socketed? If so, reseat the CPU in the socket.

> I have a radio controller from circa late 80s that uses a 63B09 that I
> think
> may be bad.  What can I use in its place and is there a source?

If it is indeed a 63B09, and not a 63B09E, then look here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-IC-HD63B09P-IC-DIP-40-HD63B09-/190573696563?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5f13d633

Before you buy a 63B09 from Hong Kong make sure they know the difference
between the E and plain versions of the chip. The E version requires an
external clock. And I think it also has static internal registers. The
plain 63B09 may have dynamic registers to save on power consumption.

I bought some "E" version chips once that turned out not to have an E in
the number on the chip. They worked just fine in my CoCo1, which was a
surprise to me. They ran much cooler than my Motorola chip so that made me
think they might be the plain version. They actually ran though, so it may
be that they were actually E chips, just labeled incorrectly. I never
tested them any further than that. I complained to the vendor about the
uncertainty and they returned my money.

If there is an E on the end of the number on your chip and you have a
CoCo1 you can try the chip out in the CoCo. Otherwise, for a replacement,
look here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HD63B09EP-Hitachi-8-bit-Microprocessor-New-Old-Stock-/220783770322?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3367bcfad2

Or here: http://www.cloud9tech.com/

> The problem I am seeing is RN6(Pins 24-31) has some "noise" on the line
> and
> the waveform is not exactly square like the rest of the data lines when
> observed with an oscilloscope.

Are you observing the waveform directly on the CPU data bus lines? If so,
you may be introducing the noise you are seeing. A better place to check
might be on a buffer chip output, if present.

HH