[Coco] Arduino question

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Thu Oct 6 08:14:16 EDT 2011

It would be quite nice to have something like the WinAVR gcc compiler
for the 6809.

I bought an STK200 evaluation board years ago. It used the old printer
port bit bashing method to download code to the flash memory via a
serial line. I think Windude (?) AVRdude (?) still works with windows
XP. The AVR chips where much easier to program in assembler than the
PIC, although the PIC had a free running timer that could be used as a
digital frequency counter up to 50MHz. The AVR I think might synchronize
it's timer to the CPU clock, like the MC6840 PTM, which is probably
better for avoiding race conditions, but limits the speed of the timer.

I'm not sure the AVR has the range of indexing modes that the 6809 has,
or whether it can handle position independent code like the 6809. AVR
programs are intended to be flash ROM based so there isn't the need for
position independent code.

John.

--
http://www.johnkent.com.au