[Coco] Audio recording on CoCo

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Mon Nov 21 00:21:57 EST 2011

I use audio grabber and record via the sound card line in socket from
line out from the turntable amplifier
http://www.audiograbber.org

I bought a cheap USB turntable and that came with some open source
software for recording but the USB audio codec in the turntable had no
gain control under windows XP and the sound level was too high and
overloaded and was distorted. Of course they don't tell you that in the
shop. It's not until you get it home, open it up and try it out that you
find out these things. It had the cartridge pre-amp built into the
turntable so you could record it directly from the turn table without
putting it through an amplifier.

As it turned out the turntable also had RCA plugs for analog recording
so I used an adapter to 3.5mm phone jack for the sound card line in. I
can't remember what the open source software was, but it is available
for Linux as well as windows. You can get MP3 compressor add-ons for
audio grabber. One is "lame" (not a good name). There should be more
details on the web site.

Real Player had line input recording on the paid up version some time back.

I assume you don't want to record it on the CoCo. You could with an 8
bit ADC but it would be pretty awful audio quality.

Audio grabber can also detect the gap between tracks, assuming they
don't run together. You can set up the sensitivity to the gap silence.
You can name the tacks before they are recorded. The open source
software provided with the turntable I think recorded the entire side of
an LP as one track, which is not so good.

John.

--
http://www.johnkent.com.au
http://members.optusnet.com.au/jekent