[Coco] Super IDE vs. Drive Pak

Boisy G. Pitre boisy at tee-boy.com
Wed Nov 16 17:03:48 EST 2011

Ok.  As Frank says, I probably spew out a chuckle when he asks... gotta love his persistence!

So, as has been mentioned, adding extra functionality to HDB-DOS would push it out of its comfy little 8K spot into a 16K footprint.

Here's why this is bad, in my opinion:

1. Legacy disk controllers like the FD-500, FD-501 and FD-502 which only can accommodate 8K ROMs.
2. Moving to a 16K EPROM breaks some legacy M/L programs (don't remember which ones, but this was a big reason back in the day for RGB-DOS (now HDB-DOS) to stay small)

One can argue if these are really "good" reasons, seeing that everyone is pretty much interested in running new software on new devices now-a-days, but then there are other considerations:

1. Adding this functionality would require syntax changes that I haven't fully explored the ramifications of.  Preserving existing syntax might be a challenge, might not...
2. It would require a lot of time for both development and testing.  Time is something I don't have much of anymore...

So, let me segue into another point of discussion: if I were to release the source code to HDB-DOS, would anyone be willing to take it and expand upon it?

Frankly, I'm thinking of doing just that.  As far as I know, we don't have a true community open source Disk BASIC DOS.  HDB-DOS has been around for a long time and the source is well commented.  It has room to grow, as others have mentioned...

If more than one person can put forth a good argument for me to do it, and, more importantly, promise to work on it, I may do just that...

Best Regards,
Boisy G. Pitre

Join our forums at http://www.tee-boy.com/forums/ to exchange ideas and information with other WeatherSnoop enthusiasts.