[Coco] Super IDE vs. Drive Pak

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 21:20:44 EST 2011

> Actually, I purchased two 2GB CF cards at the time, and only added one in
> the math above. That would equal the storage of one 4GB DrivePak. And I did
> note the RTC module, just didn't think about the model without it; duly
> noted that the DrivePak does not have that, but, I just based the cost
> comparison on what I bought at the time.
>
> Super IDE = $75
> HDB-DOS = $30
> 2GB CF x 2 = $24
> CF Adapter = $14
>
> You're still at $143, and it still boils down to personal preference. I like

100% agree that some people will like one and some will like the other.

The fact that you bought 2 CF cards and and adapter to get 4GB instead
of one brings up a good point, that's because the SuperIDE only
supports devices up to 2GB in size, right? I know there is some size
limit on the SuperIDE, hoping its 2GB or I'm not making any sense hah.
 4GB CF cards only cost about $12, but I am assuming you couldn't
just buy one and no adapter because of that limit.

If you buy only one CF card, the cost of the superIDE and drivepak
come out within a few bucks of each other, but if you need more than
2GB storage, the drivepak becomes a cheaper option, and if you need
more than 4GB the drivepak becomes the only option (again, hope i am
right about 2GB being the limit).   OTOH, is there even 2GB of
software in existence for the coco? I'm not sure if there is or not.