[Coco] compiling toolshed

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Mon Nov 7 21:16:27 EST 2011

Boisy G. Pitre wrote:
> Phill,
>
> Robert Gault has a lot of experience in this regard. I'm CCing him.
>
> Robert, any advice for Phill?
>
> Best Regards,
> Boisy G. Pitre
>
> Join our forums at http://www.tee-boy.com/forums/
> <http://www.tee-boy.com/forums> to exchange ideas and information with other
> WeatherSnoop enthusiasts.
>

> On Nov 7, 2011, at 9:40 AM, Wes Gale wrote:
>
>> On 11-11-07 7:07 AM, Phill Harvey-Smith wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> What is the compile environment needed for compiling toolshed on windows (XP
>>> 32 bit in this case).
>>>
>>> I'm currently trying to compile under cygwin but it's bombing out not being
>>> able to compile libnative, looks like it may not be correctly recognising the
>>> environment as win32.
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> Phill.
>>>
>> Phil,
>>
>> Are you trying to compile the version from SourceForge?
>>
>> Try grabbing the latest code from http://www.opencoco.net/gf/project/toolshed/
>> which is where Toolshed is being moved to. We have fixed a compile error in
>> the latest version of cygwin, hopefully that solves your problem.
>>
>> You can grab the code anonymously via the command line:
>>
>> svn checkout http://www.opencoco.net/svn/toolshed
>>
>> Wes

Everyone,

Both NitrOS-9 and Toolshed can be compiled on Windows systems but you must
install helper programs. Here is the setup I'm using with a WinXP SP3 32-bit system.

Mingw and msys were installed. These are needed for a Windows system. Rather
than trying to explain how this should be done, I suggest you just read the Wiki at
http://www.mingw.org/wiki/MSYS
If you are also interested in compiling programs like MESS under a Windows
system, you will already have some version of mingw installed. You should be
able to just install msys as described in the Wiki but don't change your mingw
setup as that might cause problems for MESS.
You should make a copy of the mingw Make.exe file before installing msys as it
can change Make.exe. Use the copy for MESS and the new one for NitrOS-9 and
Toolshed if necessary. Whether it will be necessary will depend on the version
of mingw installed.

Briefly the directory structure that works for me follows. It just shows where
the sources for NitrOS-9 and Toolshed are located.
C:\mingw
C:\msys\1\home\nitros9    holds the nitros9 source
C:\msys\1\home\toolshed   holds the toolshed source
C:\MSYS\1.0\local\bin     holds the toolshed binaries needed for nitros9 compilation

I have been using TortoiseCVS for obtaining both NitrOS-9 and Toolshed source
code. With the move to Opencoco, I will now be switching to TortoiseSVN to
obtain, update, and commit source code. Not a problem as that is the system
currently used for MESS, ie. SVN.

You may find that the NitrOS-9 or Toolshed make files do not match your own
directory structure. If that happens, you will need to make changes. I've found
I frequently need to add the following lines to NitrOS-9 make files:
ifndef	NITROS9DIR
NITROS9DIR	= $(HOME)/nitros9
endif

The above is a brief summary and I don't expect it to answer all questions.
Please post specific questions or problems to the MaltedMedia list and I, Boisy,
and others will try to answer them.