[Coco] LIF util for OS-9?

Willard Goosey goosey at virgo.sdc.org
Tue Nov 1 22:05:38 EDT 2011

Yesterday I spent over 4 hours reverse-engineering HP's old LIF
filesystem.  Then I discovered a great reference about it on the
web. ;-)

Another example of "An hour in the library can save you a week in the
laboratory."  http://www.hp9845.net/9845/projects/hpdir

(In brief, LIF is a simple disk or random-block tape filesystem that
lots of old HP hardware used before FAT took over the universe.)

In my defense, I had fun, and the last time I wondered about this the
web had NO pages giving the technical description of LIF.

Anyway, as an industrial, real-time OS I find it hard to believe that
there wasn't already an OS-9 program to read/write LIF disks, Although
I'd be willing to accept that there was never a CoCo version.

So, would anybody be interested in such a program, and be willing to
help test it by feeding it disks from a wide variety of old HP gear?

Willard
Willard Goosey  goosey at sdc.org
Socorro, New Mexico, USA
  -- R.E. Howard