[Coco] OT: 63B09

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Nov 1 19:28:15 EDT 2011

On Tuesday, November 01, 2011 07:25:14 PM john dumas did opine:

> On 10/29/2011 5:37 PM, gene heskett wrote:
> > On Saturday, October 29, 2011 06:09:27 PM Louis Ciotti did opine:
> >> The processor is not for the COCO. I am debugging a radio
> >> controller that has a 63B09P in it. I found a ?NTE6809 which has
> >> the exact same  Pinout, but the crystal does not oscillate when
> >> I insert it into the MCU socket, but The old one does. I am
> >> wondering if this means the NTE6809 is DOA. It was NOS in the
> >> bag when I got it.
> >>
> >> I need to know if the problem is a compatibility issue between the
> >> NTE6809 and the HD63B09P or is it just that the NTE6809 is bad.
> >
> > Well, an ordinary 6809 is rated I believe a PMOS tehcnology version
> > rated for a 1 Mhz clock, the B version, which your about 10 years
> > newer Hitachi CMOS is, is rated at 2Mhz.  I have a C version, rated
> > at 3Mhz in my coco, and from the waveforms I can read external to the
> > chip, I get the impression it could run quite a bit faster than 3Mhz.
>
> The MOT versions were all NMOS Depletion-Load design. The "A" and "B"
> versions
> were simply the same die graded out for speed.

Thanks John.  Why I had PMOS, a very old tech stuck in my memory I have no
clue.  But you are quite correct.  :)  Wasn't it the PMOS stuff that
suffered the purple plague & had a lifetime of 15 years at best?

> I can't imagine anyone redesigning the '09 for PMOS!
> That was "previous technology" at the time of the '09 design.
>
> This is from the best of my memory; I was a member of the MPU
> design group while the '09 was designed........
>
> cheers,
> johnd

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
The Macintosh is Xerox technology at its best.