[Coco] DE1 - More data

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sun May 29 20:53:15 EDT 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Steven Hirsch <snhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 29 May 2011, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
>
>> I recommend turning on "log protocol device bytes" in the advanced
>> page of the instance config in DW.
>> this will let you see every byte sent or received on the serial port,
>> even if they don't add up to a valid operation.
>> you also will want to turn the logging level to DEBUG or ALL.
>
> I did have it on DEBUG.  There is simply nothing coming over the wire.
>
>> The search for disks in drives 0-2 at power on is normal.
>
> Yes, and I think that's actually done by an autonomous bit of code in Gary's
> design rather than the emulated machine.

Right, that comes from the floppy processor, not the coco itself.

>> It sounds
>> like you may have some switches set wrong on the board if it is
>> returning immediately with an error.  Double check those, find out if
>> there are other bytes coming over the wire,
>
> No, nothing over the wire so this does seem like an improper setting -
> somewhere.  Thing is, I haven't touched the bloody thing since the beginning
> of the year and it was working at that point.  Oh, well.  Keeps life
> interesting.

The meanings of the switches have changed over time, some quite a bit.
 It may be that the settings that used to work are no longer valid.
Unfortunately my FPGA board is still on it's way back from chicago,
UPS taking it's time to deliver the gear I took.

BTW are you using the latest build from the yahoo group?
Documentation vs software version may be critical here, as things have
changed over time.  If you use the latest build, maybe Frank can post
his working switch settings and you'll have a known good config to
start with.