[Coco] [!! SPAM] Re: Anyone still play text adventure games?

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed May 25 16:30:40 EDT 2011

When I first started pulling apart the Bedlam ASM code, I thought it
used something similar to encode the strings, as I couldn't find any
text. After running in MESS with the single step debugger and
following along closely, I found that what Bedlam did was actually
much simpler, but it was effective at reducing size and making things
unreadable.  They basically just reduced characters to 5 bits wide and
packed them into ram.  A lookup table is used to turn the 5 bit values
into ascii for screen display.  Since the coco was upper case only at
that time, having only 32 possible characters wasn't too limiting.
Bedlam can display A-Z, a period, comma, and I think only 1,2 and 9 or
something like that.  I do recall at least one character in the lookup
table that doesn't occur in the text strings.