[Coco] CoCoFest Online - For those that just simply could not go.

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Wed May 25 06:54:52 EDT 2011

Hi Aaron,

I look forward to seeing Steve Bjork's video.

The FPGA stuff I guess lead on to more serious applications than just 8
bit microcomputers. I used the 6809 design to learn about microprocessor
design. The next step I guess is to make a pipe lined design where the
fetch, decode, read, execute and write cycles are pipe lined.  I'm not
sure if the 6809 lends itself to that sort of design, as some of the
instructions need the result of the previous instruction to be completed
first. There might be ways to work around that by putting bubbles (?) or
stalls in the pipe line.

I was also wondering about implementing a Harvard architecture for the
6809 with separate data and instruction buses. You'd have separate
instruction and data cache connected to shared memory. Self modifying
code would require cache coherency between the instruction and data
cache, but I'm not sure how many programs for the 6809 really resort to
using self modifying code.

I know some members of the list would like to see a FPGA HD6309. I'm
concerned though that adding the extra instructions would slow the
design down. The timing is already marginal at 25MHz. 25MHz is a good
frequency for the pixel clock, for the display so slowing that down any
reduces the screen resolution. Also many of the FPGA boards use a 50MHz
clock or multiple / fraction there of, so it's relatively easy to divide
the clock by 2 to generate 25MHz. There are digital clock managers on
the Spartan 3 and Cyclone 2 that allow you to generate different clock
frequencies, but you still have the pixel clock to worry about. It's
best to use synchronous clocks across the whole design to prevent race
and metastable conditions on the flip flops.

John.

--
http://www.johnkent.com.au
http://members.optusnet.com.au/jekent