[Coco] [!! SPAM] Re: Anyone still play text adventure games?

John Kent jekent at optusnet.com.au
Wed May 25 06:16:36 EDT 2011

Hi Steve,

My brother & I bought a copy of Black Sanctum too for Flex. The problem
with a lot of the games was that people would cheat by dumping the
binary. We bought the Colossal Cave adventure for the 6800 running
Flex2. Because of the memory map of Flex2 and the size of the adventure
game it actually overwrote sections of operating system so you had to
reboot Flex2 after playing the game. The Flex9 version didn't have that
problem because there was more continuous memory.

My bother started to write adventure compilers. I wrote a Huffman
(Huff?) coding algorithm for the text strings. That involved do a
character count of all the text and generating a coding table that was
unique to the adventure game. The length of the character code was
inversely proportional to frequency of the character. English text
though I think is pretty standard in the frequency of characters. We
used a serial bit stream reader to read the text strings and convert
them back to ASCII codes. Not only did this optimize the use of memory,
it also made it difficult for people to cheat and look at the text
strings embedded in the program. Huffman (Huff?) or entropy encoding is
used in MPEG video streams I believe.

We started off with the Scott Adams adventure interpreter but ended up
with a language syntax  that was almost like written English. The code
was moved to the IBM PC and the working compiler got lost I think. We
were told that most of the game developers at the time were writing
their games in C. There was something at the time called Quill for
writing adventure games. I think it might have been cassette based.

John.

--
http://www.johnkent.com.au
http://members.optusnet.com.au/jekent