[Coco] Anyone still play text adventure games?

Steve Ostrom smostrom7 at comcast.net
Tue May 24 23:33:12 EDT 2011

A group of us at work bought one of the first Cocos available in the
Minneapolis area.  We also purchased the Black Sanctum text adventure when
that was available, and played the adventure during every lunch break for
weeks.  I so fell in love with Black Sanctum that I decided to write my own
adventure.  Our small work group then played my adventure and everyone
seemed to like it, and suggested I try to sell it.  I sent it away to Tom
Mix and to Dennis Lewandowski of DSL Computer Products, and both took it and
sold it for about a year.  Graphic adventures were just then beginning to be
popular, so my text adventure never really earned a lot of royalty money.
Tom Mix actually scolded me for getting rid of a few areas in the adventure
by making it fit into a 16K Coco, but I thought that would increase it's
selling market.   Oh, well.  I'll never make money in Marketing.  The
adventure is called Shipwrek, and was eventually sold to T&D for one of
their issues.

That relationship with Tom Mix enabled me to start some assembly
programming.  I was playing the game Qix in the arcades, and asked Tom if he
was developing a similar game for the Coco.  He said no, but would love to
have it.  He asked if I could write it.  I knew nothing of assembly language
programming at that time, and I learned a lot about 6809 assembly during
that exercise.  Tom kept encouraging me, and I kept sending him my updates
on a weekly basis.  He was telling me that the author of his Donkey Kong
game was pulling down huge royalties every month.  Then my first child was
born and the development slowed.  I finally told Tom that I couldn't meet
his deadlines.  He asked if it would be OK to give my code to another
developer who wanted to try that same game, and I said of course.  Needless
to say, about 3 months later, Tom was selling a very good version of Qix.
Somewhere, the author did credit me with having helped, but his final
product was so much better than mine that I had little to do with it.  I was
able to make a good spinning Qix, and developed the game play and the
scoring.  I never did finish any sound effects or sparks.

After that attempt, I just did assembly language programming on some fun
stuff.  Mark and Boisy have a BASIC program that wll back up a full 256
drive hard drive, and I wrote that same program in machine language, which
runs about twice as fast.  That was disappointing to me, but I think the
speed of the drives is the limiting factor, not the programming.  My ML
version of that program was actually written and hand assembled on paper
only while at my family's lake cabin one summer.  Hand coding and hand
assembly is really cool if you really want to learn exactly what your code
is doing.  I never did use an assembler on that code, but just dumped the ML
code into DATA statements.  I still use that ML code to back up all my
software from one HD to another.

-- Steve --