[Coco] VCC, NitrOS-9 and "/P"

Tue May 17 12:20:27 EDT 2011

Hi,

Thanks for the input, it was much as I expected.

If I had had to extract the information from other sources I would have
given up I suspect on the whole project.

The simple project has grown so large that it may not be worth it at all.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Gault" <robert.gault at att.net>
To: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <coco at maltedmedia.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 17, 2011 5:23 AM
Subject: Re: [Coco] VCC, NitrOS-9 and "/P"
> Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The VCC emulator has support for the bitbanger printer port.
>>
>> SHF
>>

> Stephen,

> You are leaving out of your message the most important part. :) How did
> you,
> "... have loaded the modules from my old boot disk."

Actually it was my system build disk which has the modules which I remember
came on disk two and my changes and additions. Plus the scripts I used to
build my boot disks. (80T2S)

> In most cases, you can't just load modules required by the system to be in
> os9boot. You need to add them to the os9boot file. It is also important to
> use
> modules from the same OS-9 version if they closely interact with the
> system.

I expected that the old modules might well be incompatible and I failed to
find the new ones on the Internet except in, well you know where and I did
not want to go down that route. I missed the "NITROS9" directory on the VHD.

Your detailed instructions I do understand for the most part. My memory is
twenty years old and I did expect that the modules needed to be merged as
you describe. If we had lots of system memory left loading the correct
modules might have worked, but I have noted over the years and words that I
did read that it is very tight.

BUT loading the correct modules DID WORK!

So I can skip for the present all that you described.

How do we get the word out to NitrOS-9 users of VCC that might want to use
"/P"?

I have noted other changes that I want to make to the system so my own
startup script is beginning to take shape.

> VCC should then send anything sent to /p to a PC file. You must mount that
> file
> from the VCC menu.

I have tested the VCC bitbanger output using my DECB version and the escape
codes while not what I remembered and perhaps not proper for the current
needs are present.

Thanks for the detailed instructions.

Now if I get lucky the actual changes to the "C" code will be trivial, but
only testing will show if my reading of the "C" manual is correct and how
OS-9 (NitrOS-9) responds.

This plus getting the program compiled and the problems I have begin to spot
in my massive shellplus 2.1 script are making me think that I cannot do this
project.

SHF