[Coco] Qualifications Committee Planed at CoCofest. Was: 6309 with a side of half cooked GIME?

Mark McDougall msmcdoug at iinet.net.au
Fri May 13 21:55:48 EDT 2011

On 14/05/2011 6:42 AM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:

> I always wanted an HP 16C.  They still go for $150+ used on ebay.  I
> do have a 48gx, which is RPN (and are probably still the best graphing
> calculator ever made).  It's a shame HP has let their calculator
> business go downhill, with most of the offerings in recent years being
> cheaply made reincarnations of previous models.

I have a 48S, but the top-row indicator symbols on the LCD have died. I
still use it, because as you point out, the newer models are cheap rubbish,
and prone to mechanical failure. It still does the job, and I love it.

I even run the HP48 emulator on windows as my calculator application. It's a
little more cumbersome to do base conversion, for example, than other
offerings, but it's force-of-habit after 10+ years! :)

> Once you get used to RPN, a "normal" calculator is really painful to use.

Amen.

Regards,