[Coco] CoCo Emulator on Netbook?

Frank Swygert farna at att.net
Thu May 12 11:58:11 EDT 2011

I don't know about a GUI, but there have been several menu systems made for the CoCo. I think Rick Ulland included one in the "OS-9 Tune-Up" discs he created for me years ago, don't remember now. Basically just a numbered or lettered menu where you pushed a single button to start an operation, maybe moved the cursor to the line... I forget now. Could run a preset list of programs that way too. Almost as good as a GUI but used fewer system resources. There were several menu systems for DECB as well as OS-9 floating around.

GEOS would be a good system for the CoCo. It was available for the PC (called PC/GEOS) and competed with early versions of Windows. GEOS was actually BETTER than early Windows (prior to Windows 3.0) and was less resource intensive. It resembles early versions of the Mac OS and MultiView (both MV and GEOS were mafe to look similar to the Mac). Apparently there is still a PC version available -- see http://www.breadbox.com/.

-------------
Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 11:39:47 +1000
From:nickma at optusnet.com.au

With a GUI? (Multiview...yech!)
Now here is a good project that would help the CoCo...
The C64 has had GEOS, a graphical user interface. It's pretty good for a
C64.
The CoCo needs something better that Multiview. Anyone feel like
designing and programming a new GUI for NitrOS09? Is there one already
that I am not aware of?

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"