[Coco] Phoenix IDE gaining sprite/tiles/map editor

Nick Marentes nickma at optusnet.com.au
Tue May 10 16:00:50 EDT 2011

All of my games dating back to my TRS-80 Model 1, had the graphics
stored seperately from the code. The reason was to keep the assembly
source code short and optimised with just code. This made it easier to
read. It was also due to EDTASM being written for 64K and so your source
code buffer capacity was limited.

I now use Robert Gault's patched EDTASM6309 that has a much larger
buffer but I still keep the graphics seperate to aid code readability.

I remember coding my TRS-80 Model 1 games as two or three seperate
blocks of code because they would not fit all together in the 16K or so
of buffer space available back then. Very messy.

For the graphics, I used an Amiga with the package "Brilliance". I found
this to be a very good package for the 2D graphics I was creating and
have resurrected my Amiga for my current project to do the same. I've
tried using Paintshop Pro and while it's a very good graphics program,
it doesn't quite compare to the fluidness and easy at which I find using
Brilliance on my Amiga... running faster and smoother at 8Mhz with only
1Mb of RAM.

My current game for the CoCo, "Fortress", does not map the tiles in the
conventional way. They are also very large. A normal Sprite editor does
not suit and so I have broken the graphics development process into
several stages.

Stage one was to write a custom map editor in BASIC... completed.

Stage two is to draw the graphic elements that make up the graphics with
my Amiga, saving the pages of graphics as individual GIF images. Later
these are transferred to the CoCo using GIFREADR... work in progress.

Stage three, I will write a BASIC program that will take these images
and compress and compile each graphic element to take up less space.

Stage four, I write code within the game that during play will build the
finished map into graphics, storing it in another compressed format for
the Game Engine itself to use.

A lot of post processing of graphics but this is necessary to reduce the
burden of graphics manipulation to the CPU during runtime and allow the
game to run as fast as I can to achieve the desired frame rate.

This engine will move large amounts of graphic data at 30 frames per
second. The addition of sound and the remainder of the game elements
will push it down to 15 frames per second.

The engine will use 115K of RAM to operate (not including the compressed
graphics) and will utilize double buffering and offer hardware scrolling
of 1 byte (2 pixel) increment (this is working now).

A lot of work but hopefully the end result will be satisfying.

Nick Marentes