[Coco] Phoenix IDE - Ubuntu 10.04 under Wine

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Thu May 5 11:34:10 EDT 2011

Roger:

I wasn't meaning to imply you should give your source code away; I
already know you won't (and probably can't, given the other commercial
stuff you use to make it?). I thus had to fall back to Wine - I don't
have a copy of XP, nor will I purchase one (until I get that apology) -
so I can't use a VM or anything like that, either.

So I tried with Wine; personally, your stuff seemed to install fine -
but it (Wine) complained about not having .NET installed (what version
are you using, btw?) - so I tried installing - and that's where it all
fell down.

So I don't think its your stuff, but Microsoft's .NET (or the installer
for .NET - not sure, like I said, I got 1.1 installed OK).

I simply wrote what Wine spit back at me about needing "the windows
version of Mono" - because that error code is kinda "in jest", meaning
"get the real .NET installed"; a jab at Microsoft, maybe.

It's really strange that this fails so much - because for some reason
when .NET came out, it was supposed to be this nice competitor for
cross-platform development for Java, etc (at least, that's what I
remember about it), and Microsoft even funded the Mono development in
some manner, and...well...I guess it really was a bunch of hogwash on
Microsoft's part (maybe they figured "we'll only support the 1.0 stuff,
screw 'em").

I know that Wine not an OS (its not an emulator, either); I've been
doing this Linux thing since 1995 or so, so I am kinda familiar with
this stuff. But I'll only go so far off the beaten path to get things to
work, especially when were talking about Wine, Mono, .NET, and who knows
what else.

An interesting thing though:

I was able to install the Windows version of EagleCAD just fine; seemed
to run ok (I don't know much about the program, but playing with it for
a few minutes seemed to indicate that it was fairly stable). I know that
they have a native Linux installer though, should I decide to really use
it (though I am really thinking about someday learning gEDA instead -
why suffer the limits of commercial "freeware"?).

Still - I am thinking maybe I am close with Phoenix; maybe if you could
let me know what version of .NET you are compiling against, that could help?

-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona