[Coco] Phoenix IDE - Ubuntu 10.04 under Wine

Roger Taylor operator at coco3.com
Wed May 4 22:51:14 EDT 2011

At 09:42 PM 5/4/2011, you wrote:
>Well,
>
>I downloaded the latest version of Roger's Phoenix IDE, using the
>link he provided (0003). I noticed that it was an EXE file for
>install (I was hoping for something that I could compile under Mono
>- oh well). So - I figured I would install Wine (been meaning to try
>it out anyhow).

Phoenix is a product that uses about $1000 worth of commercial
components and has a big investment all around, and it's for sale, so
there won't be any source code, and even if there was I don't have
the right to release any of the commercial stuff, nor will any of it
run on a system that hasn't been registered to develop using them.  Sorry.

>So I installed the version that is in the 10.04 repository (Wine
>1.2.2). It installed fine; I then tried running the Phoenix IDE
>installer. That ran fine and installed OK too. I then tried to run
>the Phoenix IDE from the Wine menu entry - no dice. Trying the
>command it was using from the command line indicated that it needed
>the "Windows version of Mono" (.NET Framework) installed; so I went
>to Microsoft's site to download and install it.

Microsoft pushes Mono, a .NET copy-cat?

>The only problem was that I didn't know which one the Phoenix IDE
>was developed under; I first tried 2.0 - that didn't fully install.
>I tried other versions (all the way up to 4.something) - the only
>one to completely and successfully install under Wine was v1.1. All
>the others would only get partway, then fail the installation.
>
>Right now, I'm not willing to spend any further effort trying to get
>.NET installed under Wine...
>
>I might try installing EagleCAD though...
>
>-- Andrew L. Ayers, Glendale, Arizona
>
>--

~ Roger Taylor