[Coco] Ok, then drivewire question.

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Wed May 4 08:36:09 EDT 2011

If using an emulator is your goal, DriveWire may not be a good
solution.  If playing games is the goal, DW also might not be a good
solution.  Playing games in an emulator using DriveWire is quite
likely to be a poor solution :)

The first problem is that some games just don't work with systems like
DriveWire.  This would be no less true in an emulator using DW.  The
second problem is that DriveWire doesn't work easily in MESS.  There
are two ways to do it, both of which require patching and building
MESS from source.  IIRC only Tim's patch will work in Windows, John's
patch is linux/mac only (I might be wrong about that).  Since the
patches are against a particular version, neither of which is the
latest in a time when it seems MESS is going through major changes,
you will probably need to adapt the code contained within somewhat.

Tim's patch was on it's way to becoming an official part of MESS at
one point.  I think it did not quite complete that journey.  Until it
does, the "easiest" way to use DW in MESS is via John Linville's
patch, which can be found on the DW4 beta download page, but again I'm
not sure that it works in Windows and you need the same version of
MESS it was written for if the patch is going to apply on its own,
which is a bit old now.

Since MESS supports specifying your removable devices on the command
line, you could make a simple interface to fire it off with the proper
disk in the drive for each game.  This would be simpler than DW +
MESS, and you'd find more games work since you'd be using MESS's
floppy emulation.   You could do something as simple as a bunch of
batch/cmd files, one for each game.  I think some of the GUI frontends
for MESS also support storing "profiles" which can include the disks,
that might be another approach.

-Aaron